SDLSA is a non-profit, mutual benefit corporation; membership is open to persons employed as legal support professionals in the offices of attorneys who practice law in California. Also eligible for membership are attorneys, persons employed in the courts, and persons employed in other offices or institutions directly engaged in any work of a legal nature in San Diego County. Our objectives and purposes are to join together for the further education of legal professionals and to cooperate with attorneys, judges, and bar associations in stimulating a high order of professional standards and ethics among those working in the legal field. We encourage friendship, cooperation, and an exchange of ideas among members. All active, retired, and life members of SDLSA are affiliated with Legal Professionals, Incorporated (“LPI”), a statewide organization.
SDLSA offers the following benefits and programs, in addition to many others:
- Subscription to The Legal Secretary, a quarterly magazine published by LPI;
- Subscription to Legalines, a monthly bulletin published by SDLSA;
- Discounted monthly membership meetings with featured guest speakers;
- Discounted or free legal education classes, both beginning and advanced, on legal procedures;
- Credit union membership, insurance plans (dental and medical), as well as Hertz and Wells Fargo membership benefits, AAA, 1-800-Flowers.com discount, AFLAC discount, and long-term care discount;
- California Certified Legal Secretary program (CCLS);
- CCLS and MCLE credits offered at qualifying seminars and programs.
Membership Requirements and Levels
Applicants for active membership must have been continuously employed in San Diego for a period of at least six months or elsewhere for a continuous period of at least 12 months. Associate memberships are available for those not meeting active membership requirements.
- Active Membership:
- Renewed Membership: $60 plus a $10 late fee (after June 1)
- New Members: $60 (after June 1) *
- Associate Membership: $15
- Active Retired Membership: $30
- Retired Membership: $0
- Life Membership: $0
- Honorary Membership: $0
*From November 1 through April 30, active membership dues for the current term (May 1 through April 30) are $45.
Please click on the link below to apply online. Please state all information exactly as you would like it published in the SDLSA Roster.
Apply by Mail
Please download the application by clicking on the link below. Please state all information exactly as you would like it published in the SDLSA Roster.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD MEMBERSHIP FORM
**UPDATE: Membership Renewals paid after June 30, 2020 will be $70 ($60 dues + $10 late fee).
Annual dues are required by June 30, 2020. Dues postmarked after June 30, 2020, are subject to a $10 penalty. Late renewals will not be processed unless accompanied by the penalty fee. Pursuant to Standing Rule No. 4, a collection fee of $25, plus bank charges, shall be assessed for each returned check.